5S is methodical approach for workplace organisation that uses a list of five Japanese words: seiri, seiton, seiso, seiketsu, and shitsuke. These words are loosely translated into Sort, Set in order, Shine, Standardize and Sustain
In partnering with Leviosa Consulting, we can help your business to organise your work space for efficiency and effectiveness. We will help to identify and store the items you use, and put in procedures, posters, and real-time dashboards so that the areas are sustainably maintained.
The 5S approach is a strategy which sets your company off running on the right path, on your continuous improvement journey, in the pursuit of sustainable business growth.
Please contact us if the 5S methodically aligns with your desires to improve your business. Leviosa can help you during the 5S strategy setting, implementation and auditing stages.
- Make work easier by eliminating obstacles.
- Reduce chances of being disturbed with unnecessary items.
- Evaluate necessary items with regard to cost or other factors.
- Remove all parts or tools that are not in use.
- Segregate unwanted material from the workplace.
- Define a Red-Tag area to place unnecessary items that cannot immediately be disposed of. Dispose of these items when possible.
- Need fully skilled supervisor for checking on a regular basis.
- Waste removal.
- Make clear all working floor except using material.
- Sort bad and good things.
- Sort all items as per their parts.
SET in order
- Arrange all necessary items so that they can be easily selected for use.
- Prevent loss and waste of time by arranging work station in such a way that all tooling / equipment is in close proximity.
- Make it easy to find and pick up necessary items.
- Ensure first-in-first-out FIFO basis.
- Make workflow smooth and easy.
- All of the above work should be done on a regular basis.
- Place components according to their uses, with the frequently used components being nearest to the work place.
- Clean your workplace on daily basis completely or set cleaning frequency time to time.
- Use cleaning as inspection.
- Prevent machinery and equipment deterioration.
- Keep workplace safe and easy to work.
- Keep workplace clean and pleasing to work in.
- When in place, anyone not familiar to the environment must be able to detect any problems within 50 feet in 5 sec.
- Standardise the best practices in the work area.
- Maintain high standards in workplace organization at all times.
- Everything in its right place.
- Every process has a standard.
- Standardize color coding of usable items
- People know the process of that specific job
SUSTAIN in order
- Not harmful to anyone.
- Also translates as "do without being told".
- Perform regular audits.
- Training and discipline.
- Training is goal-oriented process. Its resulting feedback is necessary monthly.
- To maintain proper order.
- Ensure all defined standards are being implemented and heard.
- Follow the process, but also be open to improvement.